Monday, April 7, 2014

YSL Babydoll Mascara : Product Review


I'm going to apologize right off the bat, but I don't have a before and after of my lashes with this mascara. You'll find out why down below, but I thought that I would let you know in advance. In other news, it's my birthday today! Still kicking through my twenties, but getting a little bit closer to the end of them... 

The Facts

Price: $30
Amount of Product: .2 oz
Number of Shades: 2
Claim: "Baby Doll creates a full open-eye effect by lifting and separating lashes. The patented formula creates long-lasting volume and intense color that is evenly dispersed with no flakes, clumps, or smudges for up to 24 hours. Reach every lash, including the baby ones for a full fringe effect. The brush has duo-length bristles that adapt to all lash types, separating, coating, and multiplying lashes for defined volume."



Formula: The formula of this mascara is somewhere between dry and wet; almost like a mascara that you've already had open for a week or two and it's dried out a bit to its ideal consistency.

Brush: Sigh, it's a plastic brush. Not my favorite type of brush in the world, but I was willing to go with it. This brush reminds me of the Covergirl Clump Crusher in some ways.

Color: I got this in the black shade and it is black, but not the darkest black that I've ever experienced. The other shade is comes in is "Wheedler Brown", but I honestly don't have much interested in brown mascara.

Volume, Length, and Flaking: As for flaking, it was extremely minimal. Maybe by the end of a 14 hour day there was a flake or maybe two, but not much at all. Related to the flaking, but not related at the same time is how this made my lashes feel. Chanel Inimitable gave me color and volume while also keeping my lashes incredibly soft, but it flaked. YSL gave me color and volume, but it also made my lashes a little bit... crunchy. Not something that I enjoy, but it also didn't flake.

Then we come to volume and length. The full name of this mascara is actually "Mascara Volume Effet Faux Cils Babydoll" which basically translates to Volume Mascara, False Babydoll Lash Effect"... so it should be making your eyelashes look, for lack of better description, fucking amazing. However, I don't think it was knock my socks off amazing, just very good. It did work well at both giving volume and lengthening, better than the Chanel Inimitable, but there were a few things that irritated me about this mascara. 


from an old FOTD


Does it deliver on its claim? Yes, it does deliver on the claims. But keep reading to see a few important points.

Final Verdict: This is the important stuff you need to read, so make sure in reviews you always read the "Final Verdict". Would I buy this again? No, definitely not. While it made my lashes nice and long and voluminous, it also dried out in a little less than two months. I don't know if I've ever had a mascara dry out that quickly. It was closed tightly every time that I used it and it wasn't dry when I opened it, so I don't know why it puttered out so fast. Mascaras typically only last me three months, simply because I use it almost every day and I have a lot of lashes to coat and coat them all, I do. But honestly, this one was drying out at a month and a half in. 

Also, this mascara is scented! It smells like sweet melon or something like that, which I actually loved about it. If you're sensitive to scented products though, this would definitely be one to stay away from. Like I said, I loved that it was scented and it stays scented for a good while after you apply it, so consumer beware.

For $30, I expect mascara to basically be a god send, but if it's going to dry out in a matter of weeks, then there is no way I can justify spending that kind of money on it. Sorry YSL, we're done.

1 comment:

  1. It's a shame this mascara didn't live up to your expectations but at least we know for next time :-)
    www.makeupmountain.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete