Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Marc Jacobs Lash Lifter Mascara : Product Review


The week already started and I'm already a day behind. In my defense, I left my camera at the office all weekend, so I couldn't get anything done in my time off. I am going to be recording/uploading a video tomorrow night, so keep an eye out for that! Today's review is a mascara that I got as a "luxe" sample from Sephora a few weeks ago; the Marc Jacobs Lash Lifter Gel Mascara in Blacquer. 

The Facts

Price: $26
Amount of Product: .24 oz
Number of Shades: 1
Claim: "Innovation for your eyes only. This next-generation mascara combines an innovative, triangular brush with exclusive E-Lash-Tic Lash™ technology to create the ultimate glossy lashes. The special formula contains micro-crystalline powders that coat and stretch your lashes for maximum length, definition, and curl, while providing a rich, smooth application that never clumps. Available in the blackest, shiniest black on the market, Lash Lifter Gel Volume Mascara will make your lashes flake-proof, run-proof, and life-proof. "



Formula: I think that one of the most important things about a mascara is the formula and knowing what you like in a mascara formula. The Marc Jacobs mascara is a gel formula, but it's a very, very wet mascara. I've only been using this for about two weeks, but it hasn't gotten much drier in the time that I've been using it; it has definitely maintained the wet feel and look. I assume that the gel formula has a major part in that and the fact that it's meant to create a shiny look on the lashes means that it will continue to be wet. This only comes in a regular formula, no waterproof available. 

Brush: The brush is made of bristles, not plastic formed like many of the new mascaras on the market. I favor traditional bristled brushes, so I really like that aspect of this mascara. In their claims, it's states that it's an "innovative, triangular brush", but I honestly didn't even notice that this is triangular. It works and looks like a typical brush head. Not bad, not amazing; it just is.

Color: This mascara is a true black; you shouldn't have any worries that this will show up gray or off black... it's blackest black for sure.

pre-mascara

post-mascara

Volume, Length, and Flaking: I'm going to address flaking first because it can be boiled down to this: there is no flaking. I got absolutely zero flaking using this mascara. A+ in that category.

As for volume and length, I need to give my standard forewarning; I have naturally long and thick eyelashes, but I'm still extremely judgmental about mascara. Ok, that aside, let's dig into those two categories. This is a fantastic lengthening mascara and I am going to attribute that to the wet consistency of the formula. When I wear this mascara, I feel like my lashes are a million miles long. It was actually really odd to start using this after having come off of using Chanel Inimitable Intense and YSL Babydoll (review for that coming soon), which are both much drier and in turn, not as lengthening. I absolutely love the length I get with this mascara.

The volume however... it just isn't there. I'm a bit confused because the description of this mascara calls it "Lash Lifter Gel Volume Mascara" but the product is actually called the "Lash Lifter Gel Definition Mascara". Either way, this mascara just doesn't have the oomph that other mascaras does and again, I'll go ahead and attribute that to the formula. It's incredibly hard to build volume on your lashes with an extremely wet mascara.

Does it deliver on its claim? Yes... I think. Aside from that goof up on the name (I'm assuming it's a goof up), it pretty much delivers on everything; it doesn't flake, it isn't clumpy, it's glossy, and it realyl lengthens the lashes. 

Final Verdict: I know that this review has been very positive, but I think I would tell most people to skip this. The reason for that is that this is just such an average mascara in terms of what it does. Yes, it's nice, but it's not extraordinary and for $26 it should be extraordinary. Since it only lengthens my lashes (and makes them dark, obviously) and doesn't add any volume, I feel like I'm missing out on a major component of mascara. I do really like the sample, but I think that I could find 8 drugstore mascaras that do the same thing. I also need to mention this, because it drives me crazy, but this mascara is a pain in the ass to remove. Since it's a gel based formula, it comes off in weird little chunks and I have to wipe at my eyes multiple times to get it all off. 

Basically, what I'm telling you is skip this and hit up the drugstore instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment