Monday, March 31, 2014

Buzzfeed...

Hey guys! So, this morning, I got to work and noticed that I had a Facebook notification from my friend Megh. She had linked me an article from Buzzfeed about contouring that I am used in (from a really old tutorial that I did on contouring which is not so great). Being on Buzzfeed for makeup is pretty much one of the worst things that can happen self esteem wise. Maybe that sounds contradictory for those of you who don't read the comments on Buzzfeed, but essentially my face is going to be oggled by thousands of people who know nothing about makeup, hate makeup, think that women use makeup to lie to people, people who love makeup, people who think I'm horrifically ugly, etc.

I've already read a comment saying that "Whoa, nothing can save #7" (I'm image number 7), so I'm really feeling the love from this article.

It shouldn't matter much to me what anyone has to say about my face, especially when they're hiding behind a keyboard, but it's not something that I can ignore completely. I've received my fair share of hate and hurtful comments from running this blog which is why I changed comments from anonymous to registered about a year ago.

Anyhow, the whole point is that I'm aware of this article, I'm aware of the lovely things that people have to say, and I'm ok with it.

If you want to see the article, you can click here.

EDIT: I just want to thank everyone who has said such nice things to me either through a comment here, a text, a Facebook message, whatever. It means a lot to me that my readers are so cool and nice and have my back. Running a blog can be shitty from time to time, but it's amazing to know how many people read this and respect me for it. Thank you all so much!

13 comments:

  1. Those people are assholes, and the Buzzfeed people are too for picking an old tutorial.

    I love your blog, so don't let them get to you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jamie! I happy that you enjoy the blog and I'm feeling much better about it all today :)

      Delete
  2. It's so horrible how the internet is packed with casually cruel people who seem to lack both basic human empathy and an understanding that all the other people on the internet are real people, too. You're beautiful, that is a beautiful picture of you, and you are handling the situation really well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's unfortunate that people think it's ok to insult others simply because they're behind a screen and a keyboard. People like you and everyone else who commented on here are the ones that make me feel good about what I do on the internet and keep me going. Thank you!

      Delete
  3. The way this article was so poorly presented was as if they were thinking "Let's reward people with the balls to open themselves to others via the internet by showcasing them in a lineup for others to criticize." Anyone who has the guts to reveal themselves online, no matter my opinion on the state of their face or makeup, deserves courtesy and respect. And by the way, I thought you looked beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rita! I always find it odd that people are so quick to judge those that have decided to put themselves out into the world wide web when they don't even have the balls to put their own face as an avatar. Thank you for the compliment :)

      Delete
  4. I just found your blog because of the Buzzfeed article and actually really liked your tutorial. :) Hope you get the good feedback you deserve!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Grace! I did get a huge spike in traffic yesterday, so I'm glad to see that at least one of those visitors was you and that you enjoyed the tutorial :)

      Delete
  5. Buzzfeed is a regurgitation machine whose purpose is to post images and then go "HERE IS A THING THAT EXISTS!!". That article was particularly terrible, especially considering that many of the 'before' pictures had not even been blended yet(?) Booo.

    Also: [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/7JsO2kU.png[/IMG]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops: http://imgur.com/7JsO2kU

      Delete
    2. I love that image since it's completely true! Thank you for the kind words and I completely agree with you on what Buzzfeed does (even though it's a crazy addictive website).

      Delete
  6. By the same token, the article title is "17 Incredible Photos That Show The Power Of Makeup." Trolls always exist, but you made the list because your tutorial was incredible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karen! It was hard to remember that the person who wrote the article liked the tutorial and that's why she included it, but seeing your kind words helped me remember :)

      Delete