Thursday, November 14, 2013

Birchbox : November 2013


Here I go, changing up the fonts again! I keep changing the design on my blog little by little until I find what I truly like. I think I'm digging this classy design, so it might take over the entire blog in a few days... we'll see. Anyhow, it is time for Beauty Box Roundup  Birchbox review! Since I used to do Beauty Box Roundup, but have subsequently cancelled all my other subscription boxes (aside from Julep, but I'll post my November box for that next week), I wanted to at least keep you guys up to date with my Birchbox. Surprisingly, I am not missing my other beauty boxes and I am kind of excited that I can take that extra $35 a month and spend it on cosmetics that I can choose. I'm sure at some point, my box envy will strike and I'll resub, but for now, I'm golden.


The theme for this month's Birchbox is "More Good", which has more to do with the month than the box itself. They wrote on the little included card "All month, we'll be bringing you ideas for how you can bring more good to your life, from a roundup of our favorite charitable beauty brands to easy ways to give back. In addition, we're donating a portion of the proceeds from the Birchbox shop to No Kid Hungry, a nationwide organization that works to end childhood hunger." I am actually really stoked that they are donating to an organization for children in the US since I feel that people often forget about helping those in their own, immediate surroundings and there are a ton of hungry children in this country. 1 out of every 5 children in America live in a household where it's a struggle to put food on the table; for more info on the organization, click the link above or seriously consider donating to a local food pantry! Ok... I'll get off my soapbox and back to the actual blogpost.




What I Received:

  • Color Club Nail Polish in Baldwin Blues
  • DDF Amplifying Elixir
  • Eyeko Black Magic Mascara
  • TOCCA Crema da Mano in Cleopatra
  • Fatty Sundays Chocolate Covered Pretzel in Toffee Crunch (which I promptly ate... hence the ripped open packaging. I COULDN'T WAIT, OK?)

My Thoughts: Spoiler; I love this box. You're going to see down below that this is among some of the highest value Birchboxes that I've ever received, but that's not what makes it so good. What does make it so good is that all of the sample sizes are amazing AND I got a chocolate covered pretzel. Why does the chocolate covered pretzel make it so good? Because I love it when they include delicious food in my box as an "extra" instead of stupid crap that I'll never use (hellooooo to those cheap ear buds that they sent out like two years ago).

Color Club nail polish isn't the best in the entire world, but I'm down with this color. I don't own very much in the way of dark blue/navy polishes, but I just got one in my Julep box (which is a lot darker than this) and this one, so I feel like the universe is trying to tell me to really embrace the navy. With a base coat and a top coat, the Color Club will actually last a decent amount of time and I use my hands every day at work. Also, I think I automatically like this because I live in Kansas City and we have a company named Baldwin Denim here, so the name and color makes me think of them! (and I do realize that this color is NOT named for them)

The DDF elixir is actually what I'm most excited about since I've started looking into adding a serum (let's face it, this is a serum) into my skin care routine. Since my skin is finally starting to clear up, thanks to going back to my old school skin care routine, I feel like I'll be comfortable to add another product in a few more weeks. I've already heard great things about this and it's a hefty sample size, so if I do like it, it will last a long time.

The Eyeko mascara intrigues me; the last time I got a mascara in a squeeze tube format was a Jane Iredale mascara and I hated it. I do like Eyeko's skinny liners, so I'm definitely interested to see if I like this as well. However, I just bought three, yes three, new tubes of mascara during Nordstrom's mascara madness. I think I will delay the testing of those so that I can open this first and try it. And last but not least, the Tocca hand cream. This sample is the best hand cream sample I have ever gotten from Birchbox because of a few simple things; it has a seal on it, it has a pop cap top, and it's not in a foil package. Has Birchbox been listening to the incessant bitching from everyone about the foils? I hope so. I like Tocca and their scents and this one doesn't let me down. It's a weird mix of cucumber and grapefruit, but I dig it.

As for the sample that I already ate... it was delicious. Seriously though, I got this box last night and the first thing I did upon opening was rip open the pretzel package and shove that thing in my mouth. It was really small, but really delicious. I'm extremely happy that it was good because I have a box of them (in the PB&J flavor) being delivered today.... and a second package being delivered next week because of an order mix up. So yes, I have two boxes of chocolate covered pretzels on their way to my house. Sorry that I'm not sorry?

Monetary Values:

Color Club Nail Polish$4 for .25 fl oz (full size: .5 fl oz/$8)
DDF Elixir: $20.59 for .5 fl oz (full size: 1.7 fl oz/$70)
Eyeko Mascara: $10.78 for .13 fl oz. (full size: .29 fl oz/$24)
Tocca Hand Cream: $5 for 1 fl oz (full size: 4 fl oz/$20)
Pretzel:???? $0.50?
 
Full Monetary Value: $40.85

Final Thoughts: I love this box and I will use every single thing that came in it. Seriously, best box that I've gotten in the past few months. L♥VE.



If you want to subscribe to Birchbox, you can follow my referral link here or visit birchbox.com

1 comment:

  1. this is a GREAT box! nice range of products, too. i also love when i receive treats, the ones birchbox has been including lately have been great: chaou pods, ghiradelli bars, in my november box i received a 3pk premium tea sampler. a lot of people seem to dislike them and i just don't understand how!

    ReplyDelete