Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Flawless Skin : Tutorial

To me, the worst thing that can happen to you, makeup wise, is losing your "perfect" base. What do I mean by that? I mean skin troubles. I think of my skin as the base to all of my makeup looks and when my skin and I are not getting along, I feel like nothing else looks good. Unfortunately for me, the last few weeks have been really bad in the sense of my skin being a total jerk. Granted, I put it through some horrible things, but its retaliation was stupid and childish... or at least teenagerish. Yes, friends, my skin broke out horribly, so horribly in fact, that the last few tutorials you saw that were photos were done far in advance of the worst breakouts. My skin is finally starting to clear up, but I thought that this would be the perfect time to show you how to go from not-so-amazing to flawless with the help of makeup.


We're going to start with clean, moisturized skin. I usually use a very gentle cleanser in the mornings and leave my more abrasive cleansing (i.e. my clarisonic) for night. I've been using micellar water in the mornings and leaving it at that, but since my skin was freaking out, I stepped it up and started using Boscia's Purifying Cleansing Gel. I went back to my normal moisturizer, Clinique's Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel, after unsuccessfully trying a few other brands. This is where I start, every time. No matter how badly you're breaking out, it's not an excuse to skip moisturizer.


I move on to foundation, which when my skin looks horrible, is always Revlon Color Stay in Buff. I blend it into my skin using the Real Techniques Expert Face Brush, but a Beauty Blender would work wonderfully as well. I don't typically use primer, but you would obviously prime before this step if you do. 


And then conceal! I use two different concealers; one for undereye and one for blemishes. For under my eyes, I've been using NARS Creamy Radiance Concealer in Chantilly because it's super opaque, but moisturizing so it doesn't crease. For my blemishes, I like to go in with Dermablend's Quick Fix concealer in Ivory and spot treat. If your blemishes has texture, exfoliate before hand to get rid of any flaky skin or apply a creamy concealer so that the flakes aren't amplified.


This is one of my tricks for flawless looking skin; cooking your concealer. This is a makeup tip learned from drag queens, but doing it makes your cheeks look amazing and luminous and overall fabulous. I use MAC Studio Finish in NW20, which is the completely wrong everything for me (I was poorly matched a year ago... I should have taken it back), but it works so well for cooking. To read up more on cooking concealer, read here




And then I used my typical setting powder and did the rest of my face. All of these photos were taken in natural lighting, so this is as true as it's gonna get photography wise. 


And here's the difference. Do I do this look every single day when my skin is in a sad state? No, absolutely not. I generally like to stick with my normal routine until it's over, but sometimes, you just need a pick me up or need to go somewhere and not have 16 visible zits on your face.

I hope this was helpful and if you'd like me to do a video showing this, let me know in the comments! Feel free to leave any other comments or questions as well.

xx, 
Bisous Darling

4 comments:

  1. how does something like this look close up? I worry about covering blemishes and having it look cakey...I generally just leave my skin bare till the worst passes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything is done in thin layers so I can avoid the cakey look. I use the Revlon Color Stay a lot anyway, so I know that it doesn't cake on my face, but to help avoid that completely, a damp Beauty Blender (or similar sponge) would really help. With my concealer, I blend the crap out of it so that nothing looks super cakey and if it does start to look cakey, I know that I've applied too much of something. The cooking concealer step, amazingly, never looks like too much. Something about the heat of your face and the concealer is amazing and it just gives you this really amazing luminous look. Anyhow, thin layers and gradual building is the way to go! I don't wear this much usually, but like I said in the post, if I have somewhere important to go and don't want to look like a 14 year old who just hit puberty, I do this. :)

      Delete
  2. What is the "cooking" of concealer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cooking Concealer is a way to achieve a more flawless look. A lot of drag queens do it, but more importantly, it gives you skin a really amazing glow and finish. Beautylish describes it as "To “cook” your makeup means to let it sit on the face anywhere from 10-20 minutes so your own body heat melts the makeup into the skin. As the makeup oxidizes, it will change color and texture. The emollient ingredients will absorb into the skin leaving a more pigmented coverage to blend with. This results in a smoother, poreless finish that lasts longer. Our beloved Wayne Goss, makeup artist and video tutor extraordinaire, is a fan of this method, particularly when going for that Kim Kardashian glow."

      You can read the article over there at: http://www.beautylish.com/a/vxruv/drag-makeup-tip-cooking-concealer

      Delete