Thursday, July 18, 2013

Metropolitan Eyes : Tutorial


I did a review of a Revlon Photoready eye shadow palette several months ago and after using it a few times, I kind of threw it to the side. While the shadows are really nice for Revlon (if you've ever used Revlon shadows, you know what I mean by this), but they didn't strike me as anything special. Well, I saw this palette a few days ago and decided to try it again. To get this look, keep reading!



This is a full tutorial, so let's start with the face!

1) Maybelline Fit Me Shine Free foundation stick in 110
2) Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Dark Circle Eraser
3) L'Oreal True Match Super Blendable Powder in W1-2
4) Baby Kabuki brush from Smashbox


1) Tarte 360 Creaseless Eye primer
2) Revlon Photoready eye shadow in Metropolitan
3) Stila Stay All Day liquid liner
4) Covergirl Clump Crusher
5) Mary Kay Lash Love Mascara
6) Real Techniques Shading Brush
7) Sephora large eye shadow brush
8) Sephora Professionals Precision Crease brush


1) Kat Von D Everlasting Blush in Belissima
2) NARS Bronzer in Laguna
3) NARS Velvet Gloss Lip Pencil in New Lover
4) Sephora Blush Brush


Naked face! I don't often start with this step because I usually already have my foundation on. 


I'm using the Fit Me foundation right now and since it's in a stick form, I basically put it on like war paint and then blend it in with my fingers.


And with under eye concealer and setting powder. The Fit Me foundation is actually about a shade too light, but the shade I got will be perfect in the winter. I've just been adding more color to my face with bronzer for the time being.


Prime your lids!


I then took the "primer" powder from the palette and applied it all over the lid and then did the highlight shade on the brow bone and tear duct. Honestly... I think that these two shadows might be the exact same thing. I don't see any difference in the pan or on my eyes. I use the included sponge tip applicators for this step.


I then took the largest pan in the palette, the dark brown shade and applied it to my socket with the crease brush.


And then using the same brush, blended it out a whole bunch. Since the lid is going to be covered with another shade, I wasn't too concerned with how it looked on the bottom.


And how that blending looks with the eye open. Nice and subtle.


The next few steps are probably going to look like overkill, but I promise you that it makes it look special in real life, the camera just can't capture the subtlety of the shades. I applied the sparkly taupe shade all over the lid.


And then patted over the top with a very slight amount of the dark brown.


And then took the sparkly taupe into the socket. 


And patted the sparkly gold "top coat" over the lid with the Real Techniques brush. Be careful with this step, the top coat is crazy sparkly and has a ton of fall out if you're not careful.


I filled my brows in a bit and put on some winged liner. I did one coat of Clump Crusher and then went back over that with my Mary Kay mascara.


Popped some subtle blush on the cheeks and did light contouring with the bronzer. I applied some NARS lip pencil and called it a day. If you saw my FOTD from the 17th, the eyes are the same but I used Revlon Just Bitten Balm Stain in Romantic for the last look.




Questions, comments? Let me know down below!

(all photos copyright Allison Richardson Photography and not available for use without permission)

1 comment: