Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Foundation Routine : Tutorial


I think I've been saying for a good month or two that I needed to show you guys an updated foundation routine. I really wanted to do this in video format, but I think that I'm going to have to wait a bit on videos until I can get a new camera. Keep reading to see what steps I do for my everyday foundation routine.



My tools for foundation application:

1) Laura Mercier Silk Crème Foundation in Cream Ivory: Yes, this is a sample and yes, I do own the full sized tube of this product. I recommend testing a high end foundation before buying it because if you're going to spend $35+ on a foundation, it better be good for you. I got this sample at Sephora over a month ago and I'm still working on it... They filled this baby up. If you have extremely oily skin, this is not a good foundation for you; dry, normal, and slightly oily can wear this.
2) Real Techniques Expert Face Brush: Hands down, my favorite foundation brush ever (these used to be sold pretty much exclusively at Ulta, but are now available at Target.com)
3) Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Eraser for Dark Circles in Light: I use this because it's smooth and creamy and made specifically for under eyes.
4) L'Oréal True Match Super Blendable Powder in Light Ivory (W2): I like this powder, but it's by no means anything magical. It does a good job at setting and that's primarily all I use it for.
5) Smashbox Kabuki Brush: This came with my Halo Hydrating powder, but I use it for powder use so that I can apply more naturally than I would with a sponge.



This is my starting point; I have moisturized (Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel) and that's it. I don't use a primer since  I've never found one that I like. This isn't to say that you shouldn't use a primer, because if you have one that makes your skin look amazing, go for it; I've just never found one. Of course, right after I post about an acne treatment, I break out; ignore those zits! Really though, these days I only get hormonal acne or if I've gotten super lazy and don't wash my face... I mean what? I never do that.


I then take my Laura Mercier foundation and dot it on my face like this. I put the most makeup on the center of my face and then what ever is left on my finger, I dot on the sides. I do this because the center of your face generally has more color than the sides of your face. If you pile product up on the sides and on the jaw line, it's going to be very obvious that you're wearing a lot of foundation.



I use my Real Techniques brush and buff that all in. I don't always use a buffing brush for my foundation, but I do use one with this foundation because I feel like the product looks the best applied with a buffing brush. 


I realized that when I applied my under eye concealer that you couldn't see it very well on camera, so I added the purple lines to delineate the area where I apply. I make a triangle shape under my eyes so that everything blends seamlessly. I pull the concealer down on to the tops of my cheeks just a bit so that it looks more natural and it helps to work a bit like a highlight. I apply the concealer straight to my face and then pat it in with my ring finger. 


And just for reference as to what it looks like without purple lines on the face.


My last step for my face routine is to powder my t-zone and set my concealer. I've heard plenty of reasons as to why you should use a powder meant for your eye area, but honestly, I don't see a difference between when I do and when I don't. I just use my L'Oréal powder under my eyes and across my forehead, nose, cheeks, and chin. 


And the finished product!

Before I end this post, I really want to give you guys a solid piece of advice; figure out the undertone of your skin. Just because the center of your face (around your nose and eyes, even extending to your chin and forehead) may have some pink to it, that doesn't mean that you have pink/cool undertones. I am continually mismatched at makeup counters due to 1) the pinkness on my cheeks and 2) the horrible lighting in stores. Even if a store has lights meant to replicate natural lighting, they aren't going to be accurate. You really have to take a good look at your skin, in natural lighting, and figure it out. Generally speaking, certain undertones look good in certain colors, but that doesn't mean that your skin might defy that logic... so using the "colors" test might not work. Just because your pale doesn't mean that you are cool toned and just because you have brown skin doesn't mean that you're warm toned and if you're asian, it doesn't automatically mean you have yellow undertones; these are all misnomers! Take the time to figure it out and I promise you that you will be happier with foundation purchases once you do. (or you could just be neutral toned and have the rest of us hate you... just kidding! kind of)

If you have any questions, please leave them below!

(all photos copyright Allison Richardson Photography and not available for use without permission)

3 comments:

  1. So Sephora gives out samples for you to take home and try? I always figured you were stuck with trying it on in the store. Taking it home is much better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes; they definitely will give you samples to take home. If I'm ever curious about a foundation, moisturizer, concealer, etc., I will ask for a sample of it. Generally speaking, the samples aren't nearly as generous as the one I pictured above (my SA was feeling very generous the day that she filled this one up for me!), but they do give you enough for about a week or two of testing. Next time you go, definitely ask for a sample!

    ReplyDelete