Tuesday, April 9, 2013

NYX Love in Paris Palette : Product Review


Another product review! It's probably going to be a week of product reviews due to the fact that I'm currently in a cosmetics study and I have to use the product (eye liner) for the next ten days and am not allowed to use any other eye liners while I'm using it. Regardless, I really wanted to show you guys this product especially after the review that I did yesterday. I really do like NYX's products, it's just that some of them, like with any other cosmetics company, are duds. This palette however is amazing! There are several palettes in the "Love in Paris" line, but this particular one is Merci Beaucoup. Keep reading for why I love it and swatches!





Honestly, I'm a sucker for cute packaging and when the accompanying product is good, it just makes it even better. I hope you can see in this photo that the closure is in the shape of a bow, which is insanely adorable. All of the Love in Paris palettes come with 9 shades and this particular palette, Merci Beaucoup, comes with a mix of matte and shimmer/pearl shades. What first drew me to this palette is that it contained a lot of great matte neutrals and then some shades that you don't see pop up in many palettes.



The first two columns are definitely all warm toned neutrals, but the third column is where it gets interesting for me. The top shade is a coppery/gold tone, but the one below it is (and the picture doesn't do it justice) a dark peach with gold pearlescence... kind of like NARS Orgasm, but in eye shadow form. The last shadow in that column is also not often found in palettes, as it's a shimmery brick red tone. I think a lot of people are scared of shades like that, but this is NYX, so they aren't scared to throw in a few shades that make most people uneasy.

Every shade in this palette is perfectly wearable and the other great thing about Merci Beaucoup is that you can create day and night looks using it. It does come with an applicator, but I haven't ever used it, I prefer brushes.

I will say this, I don't think that all of the Love in Paris palettes are created equally and I did test all of them in the store. A few of them have lesser shadows in them, but most of the palettes are all pretty stellar and they come in a wide variety of colors.


For my swatches, I went by rows, not columns, so hopefully you can match them up with the pans in the palette. You can barely see the first shadow on my arm since it blends in so well with my skin tone, but to me, that's a good thing; that means it will be a great highlighter. Also, for full disclosure, shade "8" shows up much better on my eyelids than it does on my arm. All shades on the left were applied without a primer, all shades on the right were applied on top of Urban Decay's Primer Potion. Like with most shadows, primer is going to be your friend and make everything look better and last longer.


(Please excuse the eyeliner, it's the one that I'm testing) This was a quick matte look that I wore today and this is after 9 hours of wear over Tarte's Creaseless primer. I used all the matte shades and a highlight on the brow bone (so, shades 1, 4, 7, and 8).

I would highly recommend this to anyone who looks good with warm tones shadows and I suggest that if you think this looks good, to check out the other palettes in this series.

As a side note, Ulta has all NYX products on 40% off until April 13th, so you can get this for $6 versus the regular $10. What do you think? Will you pick up a palette?

(all photos copyright Allison Richardson Photography and not available for use without permission)


4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I like the primer quite a bit and it's the only one that has worked as well as the NARS one for me. Urban Decay and Benefit's still creased on me, but the Tarte primer controls the oil really well.

      Delete
  2. I love when Ulta has deals! They are so alluring. =)
    This palette looks so pretty for a neutral makeup look.
    xo,
    nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This palette is amazing for a neutral look! It also allows you to spice it up a bit with the salmon and brick red shade. This is definitely one of the best NYX products I've gotten in a while.

      Delete