Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Chocolate Covered Strawberries : Tutorial


Although I feel like I've done about 18 different tutorials using pink eyeshadow, it's still not a color that I reach for very often in my day to day routine. Every time that I end up wearing it, it's a very long thought out process because I fear that I will end up making myself look very sickly. However, one of the easiest ways to make a color more wearable (that being colors that you fear) is to add brown. Brown is pretty much the great equalizer in the world of eye makeup and an easy way to make something more day friendly. Keep reading to find out how to get this look!


Let's start off with the products that I used to get this look.


For the eyes, I went with mostly drugstore options since I knew I would be using a lot of different shades (keeping this affordable).

1) Tarte Clean Slate 360 Creaseless Eye Primer - I'm finally almost out of this. I bought this one in a little trial pack with some face primers and it has lasted me since November. This one tiny tube goes a loooong way.
2) Maybelline Eyestudio Color Tattoo Metallic in Inked in Pink
3) Wet N Wild Trio in Knock on Wood - Wet N Wild makes some of the best drugstore eyeshadows and they are incredibly afforadble; a trio is $3.
4) Wet N Wild palette in Drinking a Glass of Shine - this was a limited edition palette that they've released twice under different names; all the shadows are matte, so any warm matte brown will work.
5) Stila Eyeshadow in Kitten
6) NYX Collection Chocolaté eyeliner in Glossy Brown
7) Lancôme Hypnôse Star mascara - my Tarte mascara is theeeees close to being empty, so on to the next mascara sample!


1) Be a Bombshell blush in Beach Please
2) NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream in Istanbul


And brushes! I didn't include my blush brush because by this point, you guys know what I use. I am going to start testing a new blush brush in the near future, so if it does ever change, I will let you guys know.

1) Smashbox #15 Definer Brush
2) Missha Medium Base Brush
3) MAC 219SE (mine has SE because it was a "special edition", the ferrule is normally silver on this brush)
4) Sephora Professionals Angled Liner Brush


We'll start at our general starting place, foundation, under eye concealer, and powder applied. I'm still using Laura Mercier's Silk Crème foundation in Cream Ivory. I need to do a post on my foundation routine, but I feel like that would be better suited for a video... so perhaps sometime soon, I will step into that realm.


Our blank canvas! Apply your primer all over the lid, up to the brow bone, and under the eye close to the lash line. If you have dry lids, you can skip the primer for this look.


I applied a thin base of Inked in Pink all over the lid. Since I'm going to be working a pink themed look, I want something that will help the pink pop just a bit.


Using the base brush, I took the lighter pink shade from the Knock on Wood palette and applied it on the inner 2/3 of my eyelid, up to the socket.


Using my MAC pencil brush, I applied the warm matte brown from Drinking a Glass of Shine and made a "v" shape on the outer corner of my eye.


Once I have my base shape, I go back in with more color and make a bigger "v".


Still using the pencil brush, I start blending out the brown, making sure to retain the "v" shape.


I then went in with the defining brush (which has slightly fluffier bristles) and used a bit of the brown shade from Knock on Wood to blend out even more.


And this is where we are with both eyes.


I went in with the NYX liner and create a winged line and lined along the lashes very thinly. The NYX liner is very difficult to blend when you apply it over eyeshadow... which I learned the hard way.


I took the shimmery brown (from Knock on Wood) and applied it under my eyes on the outside 2/3. I also took Kitten and applied that on the brow bone and on the inside corners of my eyes. I applied a healthy dose of mascara and used the matte brown to help fill in sparse areas of my brows.


So, now it's time for blush.


I applied a very, very light touch of Beach Please to the apples of my cheeks. Beach Please is an extremely pigmented blush, so I start very light and build if necessary, which is my advice to you when using something that pigmented. Also, I apply blush to the apples of my cheeks because my face is long and thin, so placing blush there helps my face look fuller. If you have a fuller face, you can apply your blush higher on your cheekbones and sweep it back to make it look thinner.


And then a swipe of Istanbul. With the NYX matte lip creams, I highly suggested applying a "base" of lip balm since these can dry out fairly quickly. 



And there you have the completed look. What do you guys think, would you try a look like this? Let me know in the comments below!

(all photos copyright Allison Richardson Photography and not available for use without permission)

No comments:

Post a Comment