Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Green and Gold : Tutorial


Everyone, it has been a hot minute since I've posted a tutorial and I only realized it when I started to edit the pictures from this one. I apologize that I haven't really done one in about two weeks! My original plan was to do at least one tutorial a week and obviously I haven't done that. Regardless, I have a tutorial for you now and though I'm just showing you the eyes as a teaser, this is a full face tutorial using some products I've reviewed and some products you guys have never seen from me. Keep reading to see how to get this green and gold look!


First things first, let's do a quick run through of the products that I used. To recreate this look, you do no have to use the exact same products. I really want to emphasize that point because I think that some people believe it has to be the exact same stuff, when really, any product that looks similar will work.


Face

1) Hourglass Immaculate Liquid Powder Foundation Mattifying Oil free in Shell - This is a sample that I discovered in my purse; I had completely forgotten that I got this. I decided to try it out for this tutorial and I think it's a tad too orangey for me. I see that they've added new shades online for this foundation.
2) Dermablend Professional Quick Fix Concealer in Light
3) Maybelline Age Rewind Dark Circle Eraser in Light
4) L'Oréal True Match Super Blendable powder in Light Ivory
5) Milani Baked Blush in Luminoso
6) MAC Mineralize Skin Finish in Redhead

Eyes

1) Maybelline Eye Studio Color Tattoo Metal Eyeshadow in Barely Branded (this one's new and I'm loving it)
2) J. Cat Beauty Shimmer Powder in Bronze
3) J. Cat Beauty Shimmer Powder in Persian Green
4) Urban Decay 24/7 Liner in Zero
5) Tarte Lights, Camera, Lashes! Mascara
6) E.l.f. Studio Eyebrow Kit in Medium

Lips

1) J. Cat Beauty Fantabulous Lipstick in Splashed Pink
2) J. Cat Beauty Eternal Shine Lip Glaze in Odyssey

Tools

1) Missha Medium Shadow Brush
2) Sephora Professionals Small Shadow Brush
3) Sephora Professionals Angled Liner Brush
4) Real Techniques Expert Face Brush (honestly, one of the best face brushes I have ever used and it's less than $10. Buy this if you use liquid foundation on a regular basis)
5) Bare Minerals Dual Ended Brush

Now... On to the tutorial.


As per usual, we'll start with no makeup. As you can see, I have a few blemishes on my cheek and my forehead; stress and hormonal breakouts are really the only "big" zits I get these days.  I decided on the Hourglass foundation to see if it would cover them well.


Post foundation! The foundation isn't incredibly orangey, but it's just a smidge off from matching my skin. It covered the blemishes to an ok extent, but I decided to go back and use concealer anyway.


After concealer, under eye concealer, and powder. I've decided against using the Dermablend under my eyes as it's just a bit too heavy feeling for me. I am sticking with the Maybelline, which is fine by me since I love it.


Onto the eyes! I decided to skip my usual Tarte primer and just go with the Maybelline Color Tattoo as my base. I find that these work pretty well for me as a base and hold the eye shadow for a decent amount of time. I chose Barely Branded since it's fairly sheer, but adds a touch of pearlescense to the eye.


I took my Missha brush, tapped it on the J. Cat Bronze powder and then pressed it onto the center of my eyelid. Since this is a loose shadow, it's better to press it in first and then go back and blend if necessary for the look. Sweeping a loose shadow on is not a good idea as it will lead to a lot of fall out and a lot of clean up for you.


I then took the Persian Green color and pressed it onto the outer and inner corners of my eyes. The green has a very yellow base to it, so it kind of changes the very bronze color to a sort of gold color. Color theory my friends, it's awesome.


I blended this a little bit and brought the green out to a bit of a wing on the outside corners. I've mentioned before that my eyes have a tendency to look very round, so I try to minimize that as much as possible. Winging is not necessary, but I think it looks better on me.


I decided to blend the shadows a bit more so the delineation wasn't so glaringly obvious. I also added a touch of the MAC Mineralize Skin Finish to the browbone and inner most corner of the eye to brighten it up a bit. I took my liner and just swiped it on quickly. I knew that I would be blending it out with my angled brush, so accuracy was not extremely important.


You can see the blended liner here and the reason I did that is because I wanted a softer liner look. It's still an obvious line, but it's not as harsh as just applying a liner and leaving it. This is also the reason I used a pencil liner and not a liquid liner; the green is a delicate color and I didn't want to overpower it with a thick black line. I added a bit of the green under my eye on the outside and a bit of the bronze underneath more toward the middle. I applied mascara and filled my brows in a bit with the e.l.f. kit. My brows are very thick to begin with, so I only fill in where they are sparse which is where they begin.


I applied the J. Cat lipstick directly from the tube onto my lips and smudged it in with my fingers to make it look more natural. I stuck with a natural pink lip so that it wouldn't over power the color on the eyes.


And then went over the lipstick with the pink gloss to make it a little bit shiny.


I added a touch of Luminoso blush to the apples of my cheeks and used the MAC mineralize skin finish on tops of my cheekbones, forehead, bridge of my nose and a dab on the chin.




And there you have the final look. I tried to keep the colors a bit subdued so that you could wear this look multiple places, even the office if you have a more laid back office atmosphere. Also, this could be a very cute, more laid back St. Patrick's Day look, just add a shamrock to the cheek and you're ready to go. What do you guys think, will you try this look?

(all photos copyright Allison Richardson Photography and not available for use without permission)

All J. Cat Beauty items were provided to me courtesy of J. Cat Beauty. I was not compensated for this tutorial and all opinions on items are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment