Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Easy Green Smoky Eye: Tutorial


I am a youtube addict. I am subscribed to a ton of beauty channels on there and I just thoroughly enjoy watching people apply and talk about makeup... obviously. One of my favorite tutorial channels is Pixiwoo (you can go there channel by clicking here) and the two women who run it, Sam and Nic, are actual makeup artists and really know what they're doing. I saw a video about a year ago on a very simple smoky eye and I've decided to recreate it for you here. If you'd like to see how to get this eye look, keep reading!



Tools

1) Tarte Clean Slate 360° Creaseless primer (which I think I'm almost out of... so a new primer will be coming in to take its place!)
2) MAC Eye Kohl Liner in Tarnish - This liner has a green tint to it, which is amazing. I'm not a huge MAC user, but the Eye Kohl line is pretty awesome.
3) L'Oréal Infallible Eye Shadow in Golden Sage
4) Smashbox Photo Op eye shadow trio in Headshot
5) Lancôme Hypnose Star mascara
6) Elf Studio Brow Kit in Medium
7) Milani Baked Bronzer in Glow
8) Bare Minerals dual ended brush and Missha eye shadow base brush


I started with a primer for this look. If you don't have oily lids, you can actually skip this step, but I've worn this look before without primer and it creased on me (I do have oily lids).


The next step is to basically coat your eyelid with the kohl liner. As you can see, I didn't try to make this look pretty, I just kept the color on my lid. If you want to go a bit above your lid, you can do that as well and it will look fine. Do not worry if this looks messy, we're going to work on it in the next step.


I used my Missha brush for this step, but you could also use your finger or possibly a cotton swab. All I did was blend out the kohl liner. I used the Missha brush because the bristles are stiff and would make it easier to blend; if you use a soft brush whose bristles bend really easily, it won't blend out as easily.


Using the same Missha brush, I applied the Infallible eye shadow on top of the blended kohl liner. The Infallible shadows are some of my favorites drug store shadows, but this one (Golden Sage) is particularly pretty. It looks fairly multidimensional on its own, but when you apply it over the dark base, it makes it pop even more.


I then lined my waterline with the kohl liner and ran in along my lower lash line. I took a small amount of the shadow and pressed that into the liner on the lashline and in my waterline. Putting a shadow over the liner on waterline will make it last longer, but you need to be careful not to 1) poke yourself in the eye and 2) get shadow in your eyes.


I then went in with my fluffy brush from Bare Minerals and applied the brown shade from the Smashbox trio in my crease and blended it out. I also took a bit of the white shade and ran that along my brow bone and on the inner corner. I went back with the kohl liner and lightly lined the top lid.


I then applied mascara and filled my brows in. I don't know what's going on, but my brows have started to get really sparse on the parts closest to the bridge of my nose. I don't know if it's due to stress or what, but it's gotten to the point that I fill my brows in most days now. The elf kit works perfectly for me, but I may show you a few other options if you have sparse brows.


And there you have it.


This look can really be worn for day or night due to the colors used. The green really plays this down and makes it more approachable, which makes it suitable for the office on a day that you might want to wear more makeup. It also works well for night as an unexpected twist on the smoky eye since most women tend to stick to grays and blacks for a smoky eye.

What do you think, would you rock this out? Let me know in the comments down below!

(all photos copyright Allison Richardson Photography and not available for use without permission)

No comments:

Post a Comment