Thursday, February 7, 2013

Sultry Eyes : Tutorial


Last week, my cousin sent me a photo and asked me if I thought that I could do a tutorial on it, so I decided it was a good time to dive in and try my hand at a request. The eye makeup in the photo (which I will show you after the jump), is very shimmery and very multidimensional. When I looked closely at the eyes, I could see a lot of different shades at work, so I'm going to warn you right now, that I used a lot of products to get this look. I used mostly high end products, but you can definitely do this look using drugstore makeup; I just used what I had available. Without further ado, hit the jump to see how to get this look.



(this is not my photo, found on the internet)

This is the photo that I was sent and there are a lot of things going on here. First of all, she has several different shades of eyeshadow, she has eyeliner, mascara, and false lashes. For her skin, she is rocking some matte foundation with some serious contouring to the cheeks and highlighting. And last, she has nude colored lips, which for most people, it's very hard to find a nude shade that looks good with your skin. Saying all that, let's get in to the products that I used.


Eyes

1) Tarte 360° Creaseless Primer - my go to for the time being
2) Kitten by Stila - this is the only shade I used from the pallet
3) YDK by Urban Decay - a cool bronzey taupe shade
4) Stolen Moment by MAC - this was limited edition during the holiday season, but it's a grey-ish taupe
5) NYX Roll On Shimmer in Onyx - roll on eyeshadow...
6) Milani Liquif'eye Metallic Liner in Black - This is a great liner, I did a review on this a few posts back, take a look for more info and it is not metallic, disregard the name
7) They're Real by Benefit


Eye Brushes


1) Bare Minerals dual ended brush - I used this primarily for blending; it's an awesome blending brush
2) Real Techniques Shading Brush - I own two of these because they're amazing and affordable ($5.99)
3) Sephora Professionals Small Shadow Brush
4) Sephora Professionals Angled Liner Brush



Face

1) Revlon Photoready foundation in Vanilla (#120) - This has light diffusing particles meant to make your skin photograph better. It can look a touch... sparkly in real life, but just a touch! It's pretty on the lighter side of full coverage foundation.
2) Real Techniques Expert Face Brush - the best brush on the planet
3) Revlon Photoready Under Eye Primer + Brightener - I apply this under my concealer for extra coverage
4) Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Eraser in Light
5) L'Oréal True Match Super Blendable Powder in Light Ivory (W2) - to use as a setting powder


Cheeks

1) Bare Minerals Dual Ended Brush
2) L'Oréal True Match Super Blendable Blush in Bare Honey (W1-2) - using this as a blush and for contouring
3) NARS bronzer in Laguna - used this to deepen the countouring
4) MAC Mineralize Skin Finish in Redhead


Lips

1) Jordanna Easyliner in Tawny
2) NARS lipstick in Cruising
3) YSL Rouge Pur Couture in Blond Ingenue (#24) - I got this as a deluxe sample from Sephora and it's actually incredibly flattering on me. So, I have, of course, found my ideal nude lipstick and it's $30. 

And now on to the actual tutorial...


Naked faced! 


Now, like I said in the description above, this is a full coverage foundation. I chose this because she has perfect skin in the photo and I do not, so I have to fake it. Also, since it's full coverage, it means that I don't need to go back in and pile on concealer to cover up any redness. I buffed this in with the brush and then did my under eye area and powdered.


So even. So nice.




I primed my eyes before adding any shadow, but you guys should know that by now. I went in with Kitten and put that all over the lid and near the tear duct. I also went under the eye about halfway.


To warm things up just a little bit, I went back in with YDK and put that over the majority of the lid.




I then went in with Stolen Moment and put that on the outer 2/3 of the lid and started to work it up closer to the brow bone. Her look in he photo is more rounded, so I rounded it out to avoid looking winged. I also added Stolen Moment under the eye on the outer half.


Now, for the roller ball shadow. There are several ways to do this; you can apply the rollerball directly to your lids and blend, you can take a brush to the rollerball and apply with the brush, or you can roll the shadow to the back of your hand and use a brush to apply.


For the lid portion, I chose to apply directly to my lids with the roller ball and then blend out.



I then took Kitten and blended that into the brown bone and to soften the line from the Onyx shadow.


I added a bit of the Onyx shadow under the eye (on top of the Stolen Moment). For that portion, I rolled the shadow onto the back of my hand and then picked it up with the small shadow brush.


I then went in with the Milani liner and lined upper and lower lash lines and blended it in with the liner brush. I didn't blend like I did with my smudged smoky eye, I just blended so that it remained thin, but wasn't a solid black line. I tightlined my eyes (applying liner to your water lines; upper and lower) and applied mascara.


I went in an applied my L'Oréal blush under my cheek bones and added a bit more depth with my NARS bronzer (which you can't exactly see in this photo). I added highlighter where I always do; the areas where the sun would normally hit your face.


I lined my lips with the Tawny lipliner.


I then went in with Cruising and just applied it straight from the tube and worked it in with my fingers. (excuse my vampire teeth)


I applied Blond Ingenue over that. The reason that I layered the lipsticks was to tone down the Blond Ingenue, which can appear very salmon colored. You can also do this by applying one shade on your upper lip and one shade on your lower lip and rubbing together.


And the completed look. Now, I realized that when I do these tutorials, I'm using completely different lighting than the photos that I look at, so the makeup won't look the same (well, and it's not the same). So...


I thought I would use some slightly different lighting to show you how it looked otherwise. 

What do you guys think? Let me know in the comments below!

(All photos copyright Allison Richardson Photography and not available for use without permission unless otherwise stated)

2 comments:

  1. Nice!You're so talented with this stuff! I think it looks like the picture. I'm going to have to enlarge my makeup collection a bit, I think. And then try this, with your steps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! You can definitely do it with more affordable products, just look for shadows that are high quality, but affordable. Maybelline Eye Studio shadows are great and fairly good priced!

    ReplyDelete