Thursday, January 31, 2013

Cara Delevingne Look : Tutorial


I feel like this has been a long time coming since I posted the reference picture on Facebook earlier this week. I had found a picture of Cara Delevingne back stage at a fashion show and I loved the makeup that they had done for her. I decided to recreate it with a slightly more wearable twist, so keep reading to find out how to do it!



This is the photo that I had found of her and made me fall in love with the makeup. Obviously, I look nothing like Cara Delevingne, but the following is how to achieve a similar look. First things first, here are the products that I used.


Eyes

1) Sephora Collection Moonshadow Baked Palette in In the Nude
2) Maybelline Color Tattoo in Tenacious Teal
3) BH Cosmetics Eye Shadow in CS13
4) Noir Long Wear Eyeliner
5) They're Real Mascara by Benefit
Assorted brushes


Face

1) NARS bronzer in Laguna
2) Milani Baked Blush in Luminoso
3) Mac Mineralize Skin Finish in Redhead 

Lips

1) Mac lipstick in Costa Chica
2) E.l.f. Small Precision Brush
3) Sephora Ultra Vinyl Lip Pencil in Coral


As per usual, I'm starting with just my foundation and my concealer. I'm going to ask you to excuse my dark circles and poor skin condition; I haven't been getting very much sleep which tends to show through to my skin.


Also, like usual, I'm starting with my eye primer from Tarte. This is an eyeshadow heavy look, so a good primer is the best idea.


The first color that I'm going to use is this pale champagne color from the palette. I applied this using the large flat brush that you saw in the group picture.


I applied this shade all over my lid and into the inner corner of my eye. This shade isn't as pale as Cara's, but if you want to go that light, you can apply a base or primer that has a light tint to it.


I then went in and used this shimmery gray color in my crease and to set up as a base for the next color. I used the fluffy end of my dual ended Bare Minerals brush to this portion because that brush is perfect for blending.


Since I know that I'm going to apply another shade on top of this gray color, I knew that I didn't have to do it with a heavy hand. I just put this through the crease and outer corner.


 If you can see, I tried not to put any of this shade near the lash line since I just want the light champagne color to be visible when my eyes are open.


Taking the same shade, I extended the shadow out to the end of my brow and brought it up to be even across my lid.


You can see where I extended the shadow better in this photo. It looks like a wide winged look when the eyes are closed, but it's still subtle.

 

I then went in with the darkest brown shade from the same palette and still applied it with the fluffy brush.


I apply this over every place that I put that gray. I did this to create a taupe shade that had more dimension than just applying taupe.


I then went back in with the first shade I applied and blended it into my brown bone, blending it down into the brown. I also applied a bit more the inner corner of my eye.

 
 So now you see that we have a nice shimmery look! If you feel like you've covered up too much of the champagne shade during the process, just go back in and pat it on top.


If you've been following this blog, then you will recognize this product, the teal gel shadow from Maybelline! 

 
I applied this to my waterline and also just underneath. You can see that it is extended all the way to the inner corner of my eye.


I want to extend the life of the teal color and I want to punch it up a bit, so I'm going to put some powder shadow on top of it.


I have a steady hand and I trust myself, so I put powder in my waterline. If you want to do that, it does extend the life of your tightlining, but you run the risk of getting shadow in your eyes. Just be careful if you choose to do it.


I went in with my Noir liner and lined very closely to my lash line on my top lid only. I blended this in a bit with the same angled brush I used to apply the teal shadow. I smudge the liner so that it looked a bit more natural rather than just be a stark black line.


And here is the final product for the eyes! I use my They're Real mascara and applied it generously, but skipped my bottom lashes because I feel like it would distract from the teal.


This step is optional, but I wanted to show you in case you decide you want to do it too. Cara has very bold brows and while my brows are dark, they are a little bit patchy. I decided to fill my brows in with a powder eye shadow. I used the brown shade from a Smashbox palette, but you can use gel, eyebrow pencils, powder, whatever.


And now with bolder brows!


And of course, the other main difference between models and normal people (besides our looks); our skin. Models always have this amazing glow to them and I swear to go it's supernatural. I was in Paris last year for Fashion Week and even when you see models off duty, their skin glows. Regardless, I want to show you a quick tip for contouring.


Basically, you want to make a 3 or an E on the side of your face. You want to start your brush with a light amount of bronzer and begin your brush at your temple. Curve your brush out back to your hairline and bring it back in under your cheek bone; curve out again toward your ear and bring the brush under your jawline. You want to start light so that you don't get an orange 3 or E on the side of your face. I also go down the sides of my nose, just under my chin, and at the top of my hairline.


I was pretty happy to see that my favorite blush could be used for this look since Cara is wearing a peachy blush. 


I applied the blush at the bottom of the apples of my cheeks and brush it back to the top of my ears. I applied my Mac Mineralize Skin Finish in the usual places to highlight.


I then went in and applied Costa Chica with a lip brush and put the Coral Ultra Vinyl Lip Pencil over the top. I am not going to show a close up of my lips because I got hit in the face with a soccer ball last night and it isn't cute. 


And here's the look! Unfortunately, the lipstick doesn't show up as bright as it is in real life. It's no where near as bright as Cara's, but I don't have anything that orange and that bright in my arsenal (pink and bright, yes!).



And with slightly different lighting so that you can see things in a different light (pun intended... I'm sorry).

What do you guys think? Will you try anything like this? Let me know in the comments below!

1 comment: